Monday 7 January 2008

Charting Durmstrang

Inspired by various patterns that other knitters have made available online I've decided to chart and write up the pattern for my Durmstrang socks. I want eventually to share it in PDF format, which means I'll have to learn a new skill because I've never done such a thing before. The Fabulous Dave has offered to guide me through this process as he does a lot of PDF stuff in his job. I've seen that Ravelry have a 'contributions' section where it seems it would be possible to place the pattern, though I'll wait until after the Hogwarts Sock Kit Swap because I've offered the finalised pattern as a prize there, and think it would be a bit mean to give something as a prize that is already freely available online!

I've modified the pattern because while I think I can get away with the shortness of the sock on my dwarfish pins (I'm only approximately 5' tall!) I'm sure it really would look too short on Miss Average, and positively half-mast on Ms. Tall. I've also taken account of the aesthetic improvements I made to the first sock as I knitted it, and I've improved the way the charted pattern commences. I haven't typed up any worded instructions as yet, but here is a teaser chart for anyone who's interested:


No comments: